Rear Derailleur Removal
This guide will cover removing the rear derailleur.
- Repair stand
- 5mm Allen wrench
- Small Phillips screwdriver
1. Place your bike in a repair stand if you have one, it will make the adjustment much easier. (You can always build a repair stand yourself.)
2. First, remove the chain and shift cable that is attached to the derailleur. (Be sure there is some slack in the shift cable.) For the shift cable, simply loosen the cable anchor bolt and slip the cable out.
3. Remove the bolt that attaches the derailleur to the hanger. This is usually a 5 or 6mm Allen, but on less expensive bikes it may be a normal bolt that requires a socket or open-ended wrench.
4. Now the derailleur should pop right off.